Note from the Universe: A tip on legend making: Always do what you most want to do, and do it your way.
This note reminds me of the quote:
“Well-behaved women seldom make history.” ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
In that case, well, shut up?! I’m already there.
What do you most want to do?
I want to express myself. (ok, that made me laugh. I have a blog, so that’s obvious.) I mean I want not just to write, but to paint. But I have this vivid image of what a painter looks like: my mother.
Mama was a wildly talented painter and sculptress. Her paintings hang in libraries at Western Washington University and she had numerous showings. Her long brown hair was often tipped with cerulean or burnt umber or yellow ochre because she never tied it back. Turpentine. Palettes. Paint tubes. Easels. All of it looms in my head when I look at a blank canvas. It reminds me of her talent and I am stalled. I can’t use a brush correctly (seriously. It looks so easy, but the brushes never do what I tell them.) When I paint I use my fingers, or a sponge, or a palette knife, anything but a damn brush. I cannot draw a proper representation of anything to save my life. My bent is strictly abstract.
I have a beautiful 36×48 blank canvas hanging over my desk that I am afraid to ruin. I have it there to …coax me, I suppose. It’s not working.
Mama…Mama was a columbine. And I am a dandelion.
…and dandelions are amazing.
- They grow wherever they damn well please.
- We make wishes on them,
- and we divine whether someone loves us by holding one under our chins.
- They help plants to crop more heavily,
- and it’s believed that if they grow near fruit trees the fruit ripens more quickly.
- You can make wine out of ’em,
- or salad,
- or tea.
- Herbalists use it to treat liver ailments.
- They’re used in pagan celebrations of springtime. (Beltane is my birthday, so I love this.)
- Dandelions are a symbol of perseverance in the face of hardship,
- and they are so ubiquitous that nearly anyone can picture one.
- And have you heard of our Dandelion Universe? Look here and here.
So ok, I can hang with being a dandelion.
I do everything else my way. Can’t hurt to suck it up and paint, too.
What amazing flower are you?